Sunday, December 2, 2012

We need BIG Desserts for BIG Families....and so today I went searching for a killer Chocolate Cake recipe and I found this recipe over here:    I am Baker

I did it a little differently, of course.

First off, my recipe is doubled from the original if you check the link and now are confused as you begin to peruse the indgredients.

I creamed all of the wet ingredients and then just kept whipping them until I was done mixing all the dry ingredients.  It was pretty fluffy by the time I added the flour and such.  I mixed on low until it looked really creamy....and since we don't do coffee.. I substituted 1/2 cup hot water and 1/2 cup real vanilla extract to mix in gently at the end.  The last step is not officially doubled since I would have needed 2 cups of watery liquid...but it seemed like enough, so I quit adding.

I baked it in a large cake pan, almost like a sheet pan size but with higher edges at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  This should feed around 24 people generously.
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups good cocoa powder
  • 4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cup buttermilk, shaken
  • 1 cup softened butter
  • 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
  •  1/2 cup vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup hot water

No comments: